1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pattern transfer methods?

I'd be interested in hearing about/seeing the different methods that are being used to transfer the designs for embroidery. What's everyone's preferences?
Currently stitching the Bird Bath,
Kayly

12 comments:

Sylvia said...

I prefer to trace my designs carefully with a fine brown pigma pen. It is permanent so you need to be extra careful when tracing. I find it is easy to cover the lines with stitching when the line is so fine.

Chookyblue...... said...

I have copied the pages from the book and trace mine using my light box.........or sometimes I use the window........I use the blue wash out pens I have a few different ones but I get a bit rough at times so a bit worried using a pigma pen since you can't wash it out.....then I iron the weaveline on the back of the stitchery......stitch away.....once i have finished the stitching I give it a wash in the basin in the bathroom and wring out rolled in a face washed.....

Sofia Amaral M. said...

I describe how I made at "April:)))time to attack". Yesterday I copied designs for block A using the same technique.Latter I will share the photos with you.
Have a nice day
See you...

Grethe said...

The brownish pigma pen works fine
for me. I use the window,and some-times the top of my clear "deck" on the sewing machine.Often I just dot the lines. The yarn covers the lines,anyway.
Must just say I enjoy the stitching ever so much, half way through block A :o)

Kate said...

I use the blue washaway pens, currently a clover one which I am finding fades when I iron the pellon to the back, very frustrating, not really game enough to use the pigma pens.

Kate :)

Jo in TAS said...

I use a pigma pen too on a lightbox than my hubby made. I used to use the window during the day or the tv at night time. I don't draw in lazy daisies, I use dots for those.

Leisa said...

My family gave me a light box for Mothers Day a few years ago. What a wonderful invention. I just use a HB pencil - those blue pens frighten the life out of me - one disaster was enough for me. After so many years of stitching I don't tend to put all the dots and small marks in - just wing it from the pic!! Pigma pen is way tooooo permanent for my liking as well - I'm not the neatest tracer!!

DAWNIE said...

I too use a light box and a fine brown pigma pen. I also use weaveline which I iron prior to tracing - this keeps the stitching from buckling.

Anonymous said...

Kayly, my Son made me a 3 sided box with no top. I put a picture frame & glass on the top for a light box. I trace with an Artline fine green pen. It's the only one that is washable.

Margaret said...

Andrea has used the brown pigma pen and where there is a busy piece like the water spray she only does a bit and I follow the printout. Two threads cover the pen line.

Cubby House Crafts said...

I use a light box that hubby made...a brown fine pigma pen for tracing...for the backing iron on interfacing(a 10 metre roll from Spotlight is about $6) its quite a bit cheaper than weave-line
Lisa

Cheryl (aka Kayly) said...

Thanks for all your comments. It's interesting hearing about the different ways. I used a Karisma pen for the first one and have just traced off another using a pigma pen. This time I held the material down firmer and the tracing went alot smoother.
Have taken note of not tracing the lazy daisies completely as the stitch may not cover the maked line totally.
Kayly